People often tend to forget about the importance of spending time outside and underestimate the health benefits of spending time outdoors. If we are spending most of our time inside the air conditioned office or home, we are forcing our body to use stale air. By doing so we are making it harder for your body to stay healthy and fresh.
Fresh air is made up of a number of different gases. Oxygen and nitrogen are the most abundant ones. After we take in air through lungs, our red blood cells pick up the oxygen and carry it to the rest of the cells in our body. Cells then use this steady supply of oxygen in its energy production process called metabolism. If our cells get enough oxygen they will be healthy. Healthy cells make up a healthy body. Every time we breathe out through your lungs, we let out toxins. These wastes are the by-products of the metabolism that is constantly taking place in our cells. If we are always taking in old, stale air we are depriving our cells of one of their most basic needs. This is harmful to our overall health and well-being. It is so important to replace old, stale air with fresh, clean air. Moreover, fresh air is full of negative ions. It has a good amount of oxygen and is free of pollutants.
What are Ions
An ion is an atom or molecule in which the total number of electrons (negatively charged) is not equal to the total number of protons (positively charged), giving it a net positive or negative electrical charge. 'Negative Ion' is an ion with more electrons than protons, giving it a net negative charge. It is also called 'Anion'. Same way the ion with more protons is called 'Positive Ion' or 'Cation'.
Oxygen typically carries a negative charge, while carbon dioxide has a positive charge. Therefore, air with a higher concentration of oxygen will be more negatively charged (i.e., have more negative ions) than air with an abundance of carbon dioxide. Although in nature both positive and negative ions are present and required for growth but they are in balanced ratio. Basically, both have their own role in nature. Normally in healthy environment more negative ions are present.
Positive Ions and its Effect
Positive air ions act to stimulate and cause a rise in the emotions, and general feelings of all biological system, man and lower animals alike. Unrest, uncertainty, confusion, and anger can occur during the prevalence of positive air ions in the atmosphere around us. Positive ions also increases acidity, increases blood pressure, constrict blood vessels etc. in our human body.
Positive ions Locations:
- Indoors where no fresh air is crossing.
- Indoors with any electrical appliances, computer monitors.
- Outdoors where warm and dry winds blow.
- Wherever there is pollution because air pollution uses negative ions.
- Where the atmosphere is very low in air ions, positive or negative, the effect upon us is similar to a heavy concentration of positive air ions. It has been found in actual controlled laboratory experiments that the lack of ions affects seriously all living system.
- The city, a closed office, a home, a store, or an apartment is like a closed box with very little negative ions present.
- Centrally heated and air-conditioned offices and apartments also eliminate healthy negative ions, giving a preponderance of positive ion effect. The more moisture in the air, the less time the negative ions exist.
- Atmosphere imbalance of air ions generally precedes by 24-48 hours, more or less, dry winds and high temperatures. As these winds approach, and during their fervor, there is a buildup of positive electrically charged ions (positive ions). This condition generally occurs in any area of the world before and during a storm or high winds.
- Whenever we insulate ourselves from earth (Earth has abundance of negatively charged ions).
Negative Ions and its Effect
Negative air ions will give us just the opposite feelings as that of positive ions. We will feel better and think better with a rested, pleasant state of mind. Our anger will be slow to rise. Problems will not seem as pressing to us. In this more congenial environment we have a restful happiness in mind and body. Negative ions increases alkalinity, decreases blood pressure, dilutes blood vessels etc.
Negative Ions Location:
- Negative ions are found in abundance around plants, trees and other vegetation, forests.
- Near moving water - lakes, rivers, waterfalls, oceans, at the beach.
- In sunlight. In open fields on a sunny day there are more negative ions than on a day with clouds over the field.
- After thunderstorms and rain when air is so fresh. This is the reason that after rains we will so fresh air.
- Clean, fresh air in the countryside is a balance of ions that must exist if we want to feel good and be healthy.
- There are more negative ions among trees and in wood growth than in open fields.
Benefits of Negative Ions (are abundant in Fresh Air)
Isn’t ridiculous to write about the benefits of the most basic natural air? But sometimes our mind needs to know the benefits first; so here goes some documented benefits:
- Human body consists of more than 72 trillion of cells. Oxidization of cell in our body is one of the causes of our disease. Negative ion is able to suppress oxidization.
- Strengthens your immune system: White blood cells kill and fight bacteria and germs. They need enough oxygen to work and function properly.
- A negative ion in fresh air helps to calm down and activates beta endorphin which amplifies the happiness. Fresh air will leave you feeling more refreshed and relaxed.
- Fresh air cleans your lungs: Fresh air helps the airways of your lungs to dilate more fully and improves the cleansing action of your lungs. When you exhale and breathe out through your lungs, you release airborne toxins from your body.
- Sharper mind and Overall Good Health: Fresh air helps you to think better and increases your energy level. Your brain needs twenty percent of your body’s oxygen. More oxygen brings greater clarity to the brain, improves your concentration, helps you to think more clearly and has a positive effect on your energy level.
- Fresh air is good for digestion.
- Improves blood pressure and heart rate.
- Lung function reinforcing effect.
- Pain relieving effect.
- Purification and alkalization of blood.
- Suppression of oxidation of cell tissue of organisms
- Activation of the cell of organisms and promotion of metabolism.
- Anti-inflammation effect.
- Increasing of immunity power.
- Promotion on blood circulation.
- Function to adjust autonomic nerve.
- Fatigue recovery and enforcing the power of concentration.
- Normalization of pulse and blood pressure.
- Effects for comfortable sleep, easing stress, and to provide relaxation.
What about Air Fresheners
We have bought into this whole idea that we need various chemical air fresheners thanks to the billions of dollars in advertising spent to make us feel that unless we have product “x, y, or z” we are missing out on something essential. Nothing in fact can be further from the truth. Air fresheners whether spray ones, plug-in ones, candle or other are first and foremost a huge waste of your money. No matter the brand name, whether Febreeze, Glade, Lysol or other – none are a safe option in the long run.
Secondly they are adding, yes adding chemical particles to your indoor air. And it would not be so bad if you aired out your house on a daily basis, but most of us do not. In fact, we think it is a waste to open the windows and “lose” the smell. Honestly I don’t know why these things are called air fresheners, when in reality they pollute the air, so “air polluters” would be a much more fitting name.
How to get Negative Ions
- Deep Breaths in Open: During early morning, stand straight in front of open window or outside and take 10-15 deep breaths through nose.
- Open Windows: Do open your windows every day (at-least for few minutes) in order to replace the stale air with fresh air.
- Plants: The air in a living room can be drastically activated only with placing foliage plants. Placing plant to absorb toxic substance and to clean air is recommended for the help to decrease positive ion. When a plant breezes, it generates clean oxygen. An electron is fond of oxygen very much. It combines with oxygen generating negative ion. It is the same reason as we feel fine in the forest.
- Shower: If water temperature of your shower is lower than your body temperature, you will breathe negative ions into system. Shower spray will cover most of your body, allowing the skin surface to receive these ions.
- Fountain: If there is a park with fountain around your office or home, you will feel fine taking lunch by the fountain then taking deep breath after lunch on fine day.
- Place a large pan of water in every room. The water should be moving all the time (e.g water stored in round/egg shaped vessel). In other words, water should not be stagnant but should be flowing. The water will collect air impurities from the room; the air will be fresher. Refill the pans every day.
- How To Grow Fresh Air By Dr B C Wolverton
- Science of Breath By Swami Rama, Rudolph Ballentine, Alan Hymes
- Slow Death by Rubber Duck: The Secret Danger of Everyday Things By Rick Smith and Bruce Lourie
- Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living By Annie Berthold-Bond