"The present is here and now, the past is irrecoverable and the future will be good. Don't fret over the past and don't be worried about the future. The present is going on."
"Do not think of the past. Give up memories. You will have no desire if you give up memories. Do not plan for the future. Do not allow the mind to build up images. Live in the present."
What is Happiness
We all want to be happy, but this happiness is elusive. We chase after experiences, objects, people, relationships, pleasure, titles, money, power and an infinite number of other things, and we never seem to get but a taste of the happiness we seek and then it’s gone. Encouraged by the tiny bits of happiness we obtain, we keep running, keep seeking, faster and faster, like rats on a treadmill. Yet we never find true satisfaction. Basically we enjoy some sense gratification for a short while, but it always ends and leaves us with dissatisfaction, .
There is a problem with our concept of enjoyment. We try to get the supreme happiness from all these objects and relationships in the world, which are conditioned in time, space and causation. We need an object or relation to enjoy, and then we depend on that object or person. We search for an object, and work hard to obtain that object; then we are disappointed, because no object has the capacity to give enjoyment. Enjoyment is a concept, an internal state, that we have to create. Enjoyment means every moment of life should be enjoyed.
Where is Happiness: We think that the happiness lies outside of us and we are dependent on others for our happiness. There are 2 major reasons that we are not happy which are as follows:
- Expecting external world to change: We expect external world, objects, relationships, behaviours to change so that we can be happy. Often we heard things like: "My spouse/children/relatives are doing this and that which makes me sad, IF they change, I will be happy". This is not the right mind-set, we cannot be happy with this kind of thinking.
e.g [ There was method of drawing water from a kind of well in which a wheel is pulled by horses or bulls, and it brings up the water. Once a horseman came with his horse and wanted his horse to drink water. The machine that draws water from the well was making a lot of noise, and that noise was very annoying. That horse was thirsty and wanted to drink water, but the noise scared the horse and it would jump. So, the horseman asked the proprietor of the well, "Will you please stop this noise so my horse can drink?" The proprietor replied, "But if this noise stops then the water will also stop." The horseman asked, “What to do?” The proprietor, “Create a condition for your horse, so that the horse will drink water in this situation.” We have to create such a condition in this world to live happily. ]
e.g [ We are all wanting to stop the sound, the noise, the pollution. Yet, if we go to the forest where there is nothing, we will be disturbed by the rush and roar of the wind. ]
- Looking at wrong spot: We are looking for the right thing (True Happiness) but in the wrong spot.
e.g [ There was a cage set with mirrors on all sides, and a full blown rose was kept in the centre of the cage. And in the cage, was a nightingale, and the bird saw the reflection of the rose in the mirrors. Whichever way he bird saw there was the rose! Every time she flew towards the rose in the mirror, every time she struck the mirror, and fell back wounded. But as the bird turned its face away from the mirrors, there was the rose in the centre of the cage. O Man! This world is the cage. And the pleasures we seek outside is within ourselves. ]
The real location of happiness is inside us and not outside.
How to be always Happy
First create a condition in which we are always happy but that requires human effort. There are 4 happiness giving techniques: Veerag, Patience, Contentment, and Vichar. Contentment is the first and foremost virtue that should be cultivated. It comes only when we have done our duties to our fullest capacity and selflessly without worrying for the results. It is a virtue that always helps and never disappoints the seeker.
Secondly, don't fret over the past and don't be worried about the future. The present is going on.
Thirdly, Happiness is within and the source is the center of consciousness, love, and wisdom. Try to get Self-Knowledge. Life is very short and we should learn to enjoy every moment by remembering the Lord of Life, and always assuming our body to be a shrine of His living presence. We are not body, we are Soul which is always in Bliss.
Categories of Happiness:
There are 3 types of happiness/bliss.
- Pare: When mind feels happy while remembering something dear. e.g When we think of eating our favourite dish.
- Mod: When that things come in front of us. e.g When our favourite dish comes in front of us.
- Parmod: When we enjoyed eating our favorite dish.
Types of Happiness
- Bliss of Senses (Vishe Anand): It is the happiness that we get from our 5 senses. Basically all happiness related to this world. It is one drop from ocean and this drop is available to 3 worlds and 14 bhavans.
- Bliss of Meditation (Bhajan Anand): When we concentrate with one-pointed attention and do meditation, it leads us to bliss which is much more happiness as compared to first type of Happiness. It is like Sea as compared to Vishe Anand.
- Supreme Bliss (Brahma Anand): It is meant for the person that have already achieved God. It is the biggest happiness/Anand which is like Ocean. Ananda is Absolute Happiness, the complete cessation of all pain and suffering. Liberation is another name for Ananda/Bliss/Happiness, because Liberation means the complete freedom from Ignorance, which is the source of all pain and suffering.